The history of the department of Physics is as old as the very beginning of the institution. Degree course in Physics was started in the year 1966 and Post Graduation in the year 2001.The very first Head of the Department, Prof. Chandrika Devi was a fine blend of simplicity, sincerity,commitment and dedication. She retired in the year 1990 leaving the chair open to experienced faculty and the department was lucky to partake of the services of distinguished professors – Prof. Tresa Panjikkaran, Prof. Leelamma Joseph, Prof. Elsamma Job, Prof. Lylamma Scaria, Prof. Mariamma Joseph, Prof. Lalithamma N.V., Prof. Sreedevi P, Prof. Sophiamma Joseph, Dr. Ancy Manuel and Dr. Jesintha John C.
Dr. Lusamma Joseph has been the head of the department from the year 2016-17. The department is proud and all the more rich under her leadership as she is one of the most experienced Canossian educators in the college.
All the teachers of the department are committed to the task of not mere teaching and curriculum but have been and still are enthusiastic to walk the extra mile for the overall development of the students, moulding them into morally upright and socially committed persons.
To inspire,to encourage and to illuminate them in such a way as to help in application of knowledge and wisdom gained in the course of their study.
Originating from the Greekword "physis," which means-the characteristics of nature, physics is concerned with the various aspects of the physical world. This opens up immense opportunities to the students to pursue careers in research and development, science, engineering, medicine, law, business, and the military field.They can also take advantage of the various research and internship opportunities available that will help prepare them for a career of their choice. Physics opens a wide range of possibilities in everyday life and will enable the students apply their knowledge for a better living,a better nation and the creation of a better world .
- Dept of physics in collaboration with Dept of Botany ,Zoology and Mathematics organized a one day training program for gifted children in Alappuzha on 23rd November 2013.
- .As a follow up of E-jaalakam program students conducted classes, for science club members about on-line facilities of e-banking in the year 2014-2015.
- During the year 2016-17 as part of science day celebrations on feb 28 an exihibition was arranged by UG and PG students of the dept ,for talented students of Alappuzha district..
- A s a member of Energy club 1stM.Sc student Krishna J Nair conducted a seminar on Energy Management for Zoology students on 24-6-2016.
- On 24-6-2016, M.Sc student Krishna J Naiin r was involved a class on energy management for the parents.
- Mr.Nandakumar assistant Engineer KSEB conducted an energy management class for 100 students on December 14th 2015 in connection with National Energy Conservation day.
- On December 20, 2016 I pg students (no;10) and teachers visited mentally challenged persons at punnapra.
- Vth sem students conducted a survey at sea-view ward regarding the house hold energy management in collaboration with kudubasree Alappuzha and NSS Unit of the college.
· A class on plagiarism was arranged for the II MSc students on 22/6/17 Dr. Chitra S, Librarian of the college.
· PYTHON classes were conducted by Ms. Namitha,Asst. Professor, Mathematics Dept , as part of the curriculum.
· Department organized a career guidance programme for first year and second year students. Classes were conducted by Dr. P.J Kurian, Rtd HOD ,S.B College Changanacherry
· Rtd. Prof: P S Sobhen delivered a talk on ‘Ozone Depletion and Global Warming’ as part of Ozone day observation.
· Net coaching was started on 21/09/2017 with a talk on Solid State Physics by Dr. Sibi K . S(Assistant Prof.,University of Kerala,Kariavattom.
· NET coaching class was conducted by Ms. Anjana R (MSM College Kayamkulam) on Classical Mechanics on 23/09/2017 from 10 am to 1PM.
· Ms. Nisha Varghese, teacher at ISAT Engineering College, Kalamasherry, Ernakulam took a class on ‘Digital Signal Processing’ for the third semester MSc students on 13/12/2017.
Seminars and Workshops conducted by Physics 2012
· As part of the PG curriculum, a three day national workshop on Electronics experiments and workshops was organized for PG students.Workshop was inaugurated by Dr.Syamala S B,Associate Professor ,NSS college cherthala.The resource persons were
Dr Pradeep T(Associate professor in physics,S N college cherthala,Prof.suresh N Engineering college Punnapra,Prof. Anoop
C armel polytechnic punnapra,Prof.Abhilash A, Carmel polytechnic punnapra.The workshop mainly compressed demonstration of electronics experiments with theory.designing error analysis etc and programming and interfacing using microprocessor 8086.Date 15th to 17th October 2012.
· A one day seminar on power consumption and energy savings by Kerala state electicity board,alappuzha division was conducted on 23rd November 2012.
· A seminar on “Sculpturing Light-Holography and applications” was conducted by Dr.P T Ajithkumar, President and leading scientist, LIGHT LOGICS, Holography and Optics Pvt.Ltd.
· Starry Night: workshop on skywatching and telescope making in collaboration with Amateur astronomers Organisation(AASTRO),KERALA on 23rd January 2013.50 students participated.The sky watching session was monitored by Shri K Thankappan ,a renewed telescope maker of south India and an amateur astronomer.
Seminars and Workshops conducted by Physics Dept 2013-18
1. The Department of physics in association with the Department of Economics, St.Teresa’s College organized a half day seminar on e-Jaalakam on 23rd November 2013. The project initiated by the Kerala State Information Technology Mission (KSITM), in partnership with college students, aims at extending the scope of the State’s e-governanace initiatives.
· Teacher in charge : Sophiamma Joseph
· Participants 100 Students
· Date : 23/11/13
WORKSHOP ON e-JALAKAM
· The Department of physics in association with the Department of Economics, St.Teresa’s College organized a half day seminar on e-Jaalakam on 23rd November 2013. The project initiated by the Kerala State Information Technology Mission (KSITM), in partnership with college students, aims at extending the scope of the State’s e-governanace initiatives.
· The inaugural function began at 10.30 a.m. at Computer lab. Dr.Jesintha John C welcomed the Gathering. The function was presided over Principal Dr.Sr.Janet Augustine. Prof.Nirmala Padmanabhan, H.O.D, Department of Economics, St.Teresa’s College, Kochi inaugurated the function. Prof.Alice Thomas, H.O.D, Department of Mathematics, St.Joseph’s Colleg for Women, felicitated. After the inaugural section ,selected students of our college had been a training based on e-learning . The Department of Economics at St Theresa’s College in Kochi is KSITM’s partner. The Mission has trained 20 students from the department who will, through residents’ associations and school managements, impart awareness on e-governance programmes to women and students.
· The programme includes downloading of birth, marriage and death certificates, online tracking of files in government offices, Aadhaar, ration and electoral roll cards, application for revenue and income certificates and services provided by the Motor Vehicle Department. The KSITM has plans to extend the programme with similar initiatives that cover access to the entire range of government services available online.
· Venue : Conference Hall
2. As a part of the Diamond Jubilee Jubilee Celebrations of St.Joseph’s College for Women, Alappuzha, the Department of physics organized a workshop on “ Computer Programming and Microprocessor” from 22nd to 24th of January 2014. This workshop mainly focused on the graduate and Post graduate students intended in improving their skills in programming.
· Teacher in charge : Sophiamma Joseph & Lusamma Joseph
· Training given to 20 students
· Date : 22nd to 24th January 2014
· Venue : M.Sc Lab
2.WORKSHOP ON “MICROPROCESSORS AND COMPUTER PROGRAMMING”
As a part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of St.Joseph’s College for Women, Alappuzha, the Department of physics organized a workshop on “ Computer Programming and Microprocessor” from 22nd to 24th of January 2014. This workshop mainly focused on the graduate and Post graduate students intended in improving their skills in programming. However it is an undeterminable fact that today we exist in a world where technology is taken for granted as an essential aspect of life.
The inaugural ceremony started by 10.00 a.m on 22nd January 2014. with a prayer song by Kum.Malavika followed by the welcome speech by Prof. Sophiamma Joseph, H.O.D. of Physics Department. Rev. Sr. Philo Puthenpura, the Manager delivered the presidential address. She appreciated the department for undertaking this workshop since we live in a world moving with undeterminstic fast pace,The workshop was inaugurated by Dr.Sr.Janet Augustine K Principal of St Josephs College for Women. Prof. Rita Rani felicitated the inaugural function It was followed by the keynote address of Dr. C Indiradevi H.O.D. of Physics.T.K.M.M. College Nangiarkulangara. The function came to an end with the vote of thanks by Dr. Jesintha John C.
A series of lectures were conducted by efficient teachers from different colleges. After the inaugural function the class started at 11 a.m.by Sri Anilkumar K.M. professor Department of physics M.S.M.college Kayamkulam. He took class on Numerical analysis which helped the students in understanding the fundamentals of Numerical analysis and its importance.The development of Numerical analysis is strongly influenced and determined by the advent and the use of automatic computer. Class came to an end by 4 p.m. and Kum. Sangeeta Elsa Babu delivered the vote of thanks.
3. Post-graduate Department of Physics, St. Josephs College for Women, Alappuzha organized a two day National Conference on ‘Analytical Techniques in Material Science’ (ATMS 2014) on 4 - 5 December 2014, sponsored by UGC. Faculties, Research scholars and PG students from various colleges effectively participated in the event.
Faculty in charge : Dr. Jesintha John C, Dr. Smitha S.L and Dr. Rose Leena Thomas
· Participants 100 ( Research scholars & PG students from various colleges)
· Date : 4th& 5th Dec. 2014
· Venue : Conference Hall
4.A seminar on “Python” - a programming language , was conducted on 30-12-2014 by Department of Physics. Dr. Vishnu Nampoothiri of Govt. of Govt. College, Chavara lead an interactive session which was attended by the PG students and the faculties of the department.
Teacher in charge : Mrs. Sophiamma Joseph, Dr. Ancy Manuel, Mrs Lusamma Joseph
· Participants : 20 PG Students + 8 Teachers
· Date : 30-12-2014
· Venue : M.Sc. Lab
5.A seminar on computer programming language ‘phython’ - I C T enabled training programme was conducted on 13-7-15 by Mr. Johnson Padayatti, a software expert from IBM for PG students and all the teachers.
· Participants : 20 PG Students + 8 Teachers
· Date : 13-7-2015
· Venue : M.Sc Lab
6.A seminar was conducted on December 14th 2015 in connection with National Energy Conservation day. The resource person was Mr. N Nandakumar, Assistant Engineer KSEB.
· Participants : 100+ 8 Teachers
· Date : 14-12-2015
· Venue : Audio visual room
- Dr. Rose Leena Thomas attended APT national workshop on Wave Mechanics from 10/6/17 -11/6/17 , at Assumption College , Changanacherry.
- I MSc students along with Ms. Arunima Ajay and Dr. Rose Leena Thomas participated in a three day workshop on HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS AND ELEMENTARY PARTICLES, during 12-15 july, at Bishop Moore college mavelikkara in collaboration with INDIAN ACCADEMY OF PHYSICS
- Dr.Rose Leena Thomas attended a three day national workshop on “Conceptual and Mathematical structure of Q.M.” conducted by APT, at Vimala College ,Thrissur ,during 12-14 August 2017.
- Dr.Rose Leena Thomas attended a 3 day APT workshop at CMS Kottayam on ‘Approximation methods in Quantum Mechanics’ conducted on 09/12/2017 to 11/12/2017.
Ist MSc students attended a 2 day State level seminar on ‘Advances in Proffessional Electronics and Optoelectronics on 23/11/2017 and 24/11/2017 , at St. Michaels College, Cherthala.
· Energy club of the department conducted a survey on energy management at sea view ward, Alappuzha.
- Sreedevi S and Gowri S.Nair of II DC won second prize for the quiz competitions conducted by the History department, in connection with Independence day
- I DC students presented a programme during the college level orange day celebrations
- Ms. Angel Roby of II DC won malayali manka title. First year students also won vadam vali competition along with history students.
- Binitha Mary Thomas of Ist DC won Ist prize for Hammer throw in the Kerala University sports meet.
- ? A photo exhibition was arranged on the Hiroshima Nagasaki day, to convey the message against violence and war. Students from various departments visited the exhibition.
- APT NET MODEL exam was conducted in the college for MSc Physics students.
- Power quiz was conducted KSEB officers association. .Anabha T.B of IIIrd Mathematics and Josna James of IInd Physics won Ist and IInd prizes respectively.
- I DC Physics students along with Science club members visited the Science exhibition at St. Michael’s College Cherthala.